The stuff of dreams

I went for my run this morning, some what earlier than has been the norm of late.  And as I coaxed these tired old legs to turn over, leaving a trail of footprints across the dew covered field.  The thought crossed my mind that Eliud Kipchoge was probably warming down at a quicker pace than this.

Prior to setting off on this run I had just been watching the Nike Breaking2 project's attempt to break 2 hours for the marathon.  In what was a phenomenal run Kipchoge just missed out with a time of 2.00.24.

Having followed a lot of the build up in the press etc.there had been some criticism of how the attempt had been structured and how it was part of a marketing ploy by Nike.  Whatever the motives behind the attempt it was still a piece of exceptional running.

I am being lazy here ( as I can't be bothered to check the fact) but I believe that in his quest to break the 4 minute barrier for the mile, Roger Bannister also employed a system of pace makers jointing the attempt at various stages, the year before he actually broke 4 minutes.

Could it be that Kipchoge, now that he knows he can run that fast can break 2 hours next year in a race?

Ah the stuff of dreams........

Comments